This page is about gaining the best out of your smartphones and tablets whether you are at home or out and about.
- Gadget List – Essential Smartphone And Tablet Accessories – What power-supply and audio accessories to purchase for your smartphone or tablet.
- Malicious USB charging stations – how to protect your mobile devices – Making sure that the USB charging device you plug your phone into is there to charge your phone rather than steal your data
- Nice camera and Android phone can work together – How you can use your Android phone to get at the photos on your camera’s memory card for use in Instagram or photo messaging.
- Give Your Windows 10 Mobile Smartphone A Unique Name – How to give your Nokia Lumia or other Windows 10 Mobile smartphone its own device name.
- How to effectively establish that Wi-Fi-based mobile network – Have many different Wi-Fi-based mobile accessories like Wi-FI-capable digital cameras or mobile NAS units? Know how to run them together by setting up proper mobile network for these devices.
- Setting up a mobile NAS to work with your home network – How to connect a WD MyPassport Wireless or similar highly-capable mobile network-attached-storage device to an existing home network so it share resources to computers and devices connected to that network. This describes switching the device’s “hotspot” or “Shared Wi-Fi” network setup between a “private / secure” mode and a “sharing” mode to make the data be available on the host network.
- Chromecast or Apple TV with that public-access Wi-Fi network – How you can set up that Chromecast, Apple TV, other network media device or network printer to work with your smartphone or tablet while using a public-access Wi-Fi network like your hotel’s Wi-Fi. This can even be done with Windows or MacOS laptops. (Windows 10, MacOS 13 Ventura)
USB power supplies and chargers for your mobile devices
- Should you worry about your USB charger’s current output for your gadgets? – An article about whether you need to be critical about the current output your USB chargers put up for your mobile gadgets.
- Trying to reduce the number of USB chargers around the house. What can you do? – A “spring-cleaning” article about how you can cut down on the number of unused USB chargers within your home without sacrificing convenience.
- USB-C PD battery packs – Are they worth it for your laptop? – Should you consider the use of USB-C Power Delivery compliant “powerbank” battery packs for your USB-C-powered ultraportable laptop computer? Also what should you look for with these battery packs?
Getting the best from the app store
How should I assess apps from that app store? – Knowing how to make sure your phone has apps that work properly and that you aren’t downloading junk in to your mobile device.
- App Essentials For Your Mobile Device – Apps that are worth downloading from your mobile platform’s app store to equip your smartphone or tablet with.
- Sports Scoreboard Apps – a very useful mobile app class – An article about those apps that turn your smartphone or tablet in to a handheld sports scoreboard, making it that nice little companion for the big games.
- Emergency-notification apps – very important for some of us – Using our smartphones as an emergency reference tool so others can know what to do if an unforseen event occurs. This is important for those of us with a chronic illness or allergy (including elderly people), or who go on long athletic pursuits.