- “Windows 7 For Seniors” by Michael Price (ISBN:978-1-84078-386-5) – An easy-to-understand guide to Windows 7 computing for older users.
- Sony VAIO J Series all-in-one desktop computer – a different design that Sony has provided to take the boredom out of Windows-based desktop computing.
- Sony VAIO Tap 20 adaptive all-in-one tablet computer – One of the first all-in-one desktop computers that is designed to be a transportable tablet computer for group computing needs.
Desktop Security Software
- Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 – “step-up” desktop security software package for Windows for people who want more than what the free desktop security programs offered by AVG, Avast and Microsoft have.
Miscellaneous Desktop Software
- Brother VM-100VP Visitor Management System – A program that works with Brother label printers to allow a business to keep track of visitors who have entered a premises and generate visitor name badges.
Multi-function Mobile Phones
- Nokia N85 3G Multimedia Phone – Nokia’s first OLED-equipped multimedia phone and a rare jewel in a crowded marketplace
Network Infrastructure Hardware
- Western Digital LiveWire HomePlug AV 4-port Ethernet Switch – A kit of two four-port Ethernet switches that connect to each other via a HomePlug AV powerline network segment. Ideal for connecting clusters of network-enabed AV equipment like BD-Live Blu-Ray players and games consoles to the Internet.
- Western Digital MyNet 8-port Gigabit Switch with QoS – an 8-port Gigablt Ethernet switch that supports port-based quality-of-service for multimeida. Is able to work as a central switch for a wired-for-Ethernet house or a small network.
- Western Digital MyNet Range Extender – a dual-band range extender / client bridge for the modern wireless network.
Network Management Software
- MetaGeek inSSIDer – a free Wi-Fi wireless-network site survey tool that is useful for optimising wireless networks and managing wireless hotspots.
- Wi-Fi Analyzer – an Android-based program that turns these smartphones or 7″ tablet computers into wireless-network site survey tools.
Network Media Servers (including network-attached storage devices)
Network-Attached Storage Devices and Disk Enclosures
- Western Digital MyBook World Edition – an entry level NAS that works well as a 24/7 media server for a small network
- Kingston Wi-Drive Mobile NAS – a USB flash-drive which can be a file pick-up for its own Wi-Fi network. Primarily to be used with smartphones or tablets but can be used with laptops in this way using its Web interface.
Doesn’t support DLNA server functionality.
- Seagate GoFlex Home NAS – Seagate’s entry-level network-attached storage which can tick the boxes for a first-time or secondary-service NAS, including media-server functionality as seen at a hi-fi show. This is based around a detachable hard disk which allows you to buy lower-capacity units and upgrade to higher-capacity units by swapping out the hard disk module.
- Western Digital Sentinel DS5100 Windows Server NAS – A device that looks like a business-grade NAS but is really a Windows-Server-2012-Essentials-based content server. This is essentially a “foot-in-the-door” for small businesses wanting to run client-server applications or for people wanting to learn the Windows Server platform.
- Western Digital MyPassport Wireless Mobile NAS – A highly-capable mobile NAS that also allows you to share media content via DLNA, works as a wireless bridge for your home or “away” network like a hotel network and allows you to dump the contents of an SD card to the hard disk.
Network Media Software
- TwonkyMedia Manager 1.0 – DLNA-compliant media manager that allows the computer to be a media server, controller or remote-controlled player. Updated to include personal experience with the newer versions of TwonkyMedia Manager.
- TwonkyBeam – Web browser helper for Internet Explorer that permits users to “push” Web-page medi to DLNA-compliant media player devices that can be controlled over the home network
- Facebook Friend Wheel – A graphical overview of your Facebook Friend List and the connections between your Facebook Friends.
10″ Tablet Computers
These large tablets can be used as an alternative to a netbook and can be cradled around easily or used on the sofa.
- Acer Iconia A500 10″ Android tablet – A general-purpose 10″ tablet that steps outside the iPad mould.
- Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet – A business-focused 10″ Android tablet from Lenovo that shows what can be available for the business user or tradesman.
- Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 – An Android-based answer to the Apple iPad that has an integrated kickstand which would please those of you who watch video content or engage in many long videocalls.
- Toshiba AT300 Tablet – A Wi-Fi-only consumer 10″ tablet that runs the Android “Ice Cream Sandwich” operating system and works well as a “second-screen” or gaming tablet.
7″ Tablet Computers
Stuff these in your coat pocket for use as on-the-go alternatives to typical ebook readers.
- Toshiba Thrive AT1S0 (AT150) 7″ Tablet – A 7″ Wi-Fi Android tablet that can work as a multi-faceted network-enabled information terminal.